Talks of a possible fight between Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford have been brewing for years, but it looks like it won’t happen in 2020.
Sports all over the world have been postponed due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and boxing is not an exception.
In Chino Trinidad’s report for “24 Oras,” Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum said the Pacquiao-Crawford bout was being considered to be held outside the United States.
“Once this clears up I think we have a way where it can happen,” he said.
Two other Filipino fighters have been affected by the COVID-19 lockdowns.
Last week, the bout between Pinoy pride Johnriel Casimero and Naoya Inoue of Japan was cancelled.
Arum said they initially considered having Casimero fly to Japan because Inoue cannot come to the United States, but it did not work out.
“Unfortunately it looks like we’d have to put that fight in the back burner,” Arum said.
Earlier, Jerwin Ancajas’s April 11 fight was also nixed due to the pandemic.
“We’d love to use him right away but he’s in the Philippines and it’s a big question as to when we’ll be able to get him cleared to come from the Philippines into the United States,” Arum said. –MGP, GMA News